Friday, December 2, 2011

Remember the cold...

It was March when we met Gracie Pickles.  She was pulled from a breeding farm in Sunbury, PA.  We were notified through NEBTR that the farmer had released 4 dogs from his mill and set them free onto the farm, hoping that they would run away or die from starvation.  The dogs did not leave the farm, and the farmer told his neighbor that he would shoot the dogs if they were not gone by the weekend.  The neighbor called someone who called someone, and by the grace of god, it came into the hands of NEBTR.  We jumped into the van and drove up to Sunbury to pick up the dogs.  4 mangy boston terriers, looking tired, beat down and COLD.  They had been out in the elements for days, scraping for food and shelter.  The dogs were handed to us, one at a time. The last dog was Gracie. I took her into my arms, and looked at my husband in that "way".....and handed her to him.  He stopped in his tracks.  He did not turn to the van , he didn't place her into the crate.  He handed her back to me and told me to get in the van and hold her.  We both knew at that exact moment that Gracie Pickles would never leave our arms again.  Gracie has struggled over the years with a choking disorder, due to her past neglect and starvation issues.  We have revived her 4 times using CPR/Rescue breathing.  I even became certified in canine CPR so that i could assist her.  I will never forget the day that dear soul was placed into my arms, and i will always remember the cold. 
As the winter season bears down on the east coast, i beg you all to remember the souls still imprisoned in the mills.  They do not have heat in the breeding barns, and there are no windows.  Cold, dark and alone.  Pray for them, pray that someone calls someone and somehow they are rescued. 

1 comment:

  1. I have asked that anyone who wishes to give me a present for Christmas instead donate to NEBTR. I know no better way to remember the dogs still suffering than to give to an organization that saves the neglected, discarded and abused. It is my hope that you get some good donations as a result of my request.

    ReplyDelete